My Reader Profile

  


    Reading has always been an escape for me and what I read really depends on where I’m at in life. In high school, my favorite show was Bones and I wanted to be like Brennan, so I lost myself in Kathy Reichs’ books. At the same time, I was also studying mythology in my English class so naturally I was drawn to the Percy Jackson series.

    During undergrad, I didn’t really read because school took up all of my time. During grad school, I also had no time to read, but I was so burnt out I desperately needed an escape and found romance novels. That’s pretty much where I’ve been since. I like to branch out every now and then to fantasy or mystery, but my happy place is romance novels (for any Emily Henry fans - yes I meant to do that). I like the predictability and how tropey they can be (though I am not a fan of third-act breakups, miscommunication, or love triangle tropes).

Lately, I’ve been reading through Chloe Liese’s Bergman Brothers series. Pulling from the appeal training document compiled by NoveList and the STL Public Library, the major appeal of her books for me is the characters. In each book, there is representation of a non-typical attribute that you don't normally see in the romance genre. For example, multiple characters throughout the series are autistic and a few others have anxiety disorders or chronic pain. As someone who deals with some of these issues myself, it's nice to see characters with similar experiences who still get their happily ever after.

Other authors I will always recommend are Emily Henry, B.K. Borison, Ali Hazelwood, and Alice Osman, just to name a few. I’m not much of a re-reader and I love books too much to have a favorite but there are a few that I return to. When I was in junior high, I read Never Bite a Boy on the First Date (we all had a vampire phase in junior high) and every once in a while I’ll reread it because it’s one of those books that I can still remember how it felt to read for the first time. Another one that I’ve found more recently that I read around the beginning of fall is The Rivals of Casper Road. This is a Harlequin romance and I know that comes with certain opinions built in, but the story is adorable and it never fails to put me in the fall mood, so don’t knock it till you try it! 📚

References
NoveList Editorial & St. Louis Public Library Staff (n.d.). The appeal of books. NoveList.

Comments

  1. Hello Victoria!
    I admit that I also had a vampire phase in junior high, though mine was the Twilight series. However, I was in the less popular Team Jacob camp. I still think we need a series about the wolves, Miss Meyer! I have trouble rereading books as well, mostly because I lose motivation since I know what's coming. The only time I reread a book and enjoyed it was Wuthering Heights, because the shifting perspectives add so many layers that you discover something new the second time around.
    I am not a romance person at all, so I wanted to ask you a couple questions about your preferences within the genre, if you don't mind. I see that most of your favorite romance authors write strictly in a realistic setting. Is that a purposeful distinction or are you open to dabbling in fantasy settings as well? I believe I have a problem with romance because it is predictable most of the time, but I can certainly see why that would be comforting to retreat to in times of stress. Maybe I should try that next time I am going through a rough patch!
    Are there any hard stops for you within your favorite genre? I see you had some things that you weren't a fan of, but I wasn't sure if these were absolute no-no's. I love all things horror and suspense, but I draw a line at killer or villain perspectives. It just feels... icky, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia!
      I definitely read Twilight too. When I was younger I was Team Edward but, now that I'm older if I had to choose I would definitely be Team Jacob, though both are a bit problematic. I read Wuthering Heights in high school and I really enjoyed it! I've been wanting to revisit it, but there are always so many other books to read.

      I'm so glad you have questions for me! I love talking to people about romance novels and I totally understand that the genre isn't for everyone. While the authors I mentioned do write in realistic settings, I have read several "romantasy" books. I consider those to be fantasy first and romance second so I don't lump them in with romance authors. Different readers may have different opinions about this. I've read the first four books of the Throne of Glass series as well as Fourth Wing and Iron Flame (those two books could be a whole discussion in themselves. I have opinions!). I also love India Holton's and Rebecca Ross' books though I would label them more as magical realism than as fantasy.

      As far as any hard stops for me, if I know a book has an unplanned pregnancy, I won't read it. I don't like the idea of pregnancy or a child being used as a prop so I avoid that. There is also one of Chloe Liese's books where the couple deals with infertility and possible separation that I skipped. While I love her books because of character representation that you don't normally see in romance, these issues felt a little too close to home and even though I knew it would all work out for them, I didn't think I would enjoy reading that type of tension. Other than that, I will usually give a book a chance if the story sounds interesting, but I'm totally willing to DNF a book that I don't end up liking.

      I hope that this answers your questions! If you have any more or ever want romance recommendations, let me know! As a side note, if you would be interested at all in historical romance, Taylor Bush who is also in this class will definitely have some recommendations for you!

      Delete
    2. Love this conversation! There could be a whole class on romance novels, tropes and sub-genres!

      Delete
  2. I'm too old to have had the junior high vampire phase, I think. The first time I remember vampires being popular in my lifetime was when Buffy the Vampire Slayer started airing when I was in high school. I do know the feeling of re-reading a book because it takes me back to how I felt when I first read it though. Maybe that explains the difference between an "all-time favorite" and a book that I recommend but don't consider a favorite? I would happily re-read my favorites, but the others - while great to recommend to people - would feel like a waste of time to re-read when I could be reading something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah, I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel too! While I don't normally re-read books, I do re-watch shows and every now and then I'll get in a mood and re-watch those! There's something so comforting about late 90's/early 2000's shows! I also totally understand not re-reading something when there are so many other books to read. Sometimes I'll get really in my head about the fact that I'll never be able to read all the books I want to, but picking up a new book always makes me feel better!

      Delete
  3. Hi Victoria,
    If you like Chloe Liese’s Bergman Brothers series, you might also like The Loveless Brothers Series by Roxie Noir. There are about five books, and there is a lot of sibling banter. They are real characters with sort of a functional, large family as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jackie! Thanks for the recommendation! I looked them up and they definitely sound like something I'd like. Maybe once I get through a few that I'm reading now, I'll check them out.

      Delete
  4. Hi Victoria, I can definitely relate to using reading as a means of escape! Life gets so crazy! Whereas you turn to romance, I turn to young adult/fantasy novels: Eragon, Harry Potter, etc. It sort of takes me out of real life for a bit and focus on something less stressful. I have a very hectic schedule, but I try to fit reading into my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Victoria! Like you and many others, I also went through (and am still going through, if I'm being totally honest) a vampire phase! Even though it's so toxic and absurd, Twilight will always have a special place in my heart. I read the OG vampire story, Carmilla, last fall, and I'd like to read Dracula at some point, too.

    I haven't gotten a chance to read any of Alice Oseman's books/graphic novels yet because they are always flying off the shelves, but I've loved watching the Heartstopper series on Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Victoria!

    I also stopped reading in undergrad and picked up reading romance during grad school! I definitely relate to the genre becoming a happy place from all the stress of real life. Emily Henry and B.K Borison are on my list of authors to check out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the Bergman Brothers series!! I actually just realized that there are 7 books to that series. I don't think that I have read past book 5. I need to start reading those again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love me some fantasy - especially Emily Henry! Great reading profile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment