Week 8 - Gentle Read Annotation




Author: Michiko Aoyama; Translated by Alison Watts
Title: What You Are Looking For Is in the Library
Genre: Literary Fiction; Gentle Read
Publication Date: Published in English - Sept. 5, 2023
Number of Pages: 223
Geographical Setting: Tokyo, Japan
Time Period: Contemporary
Series: none

Plot Summary: What you are looking for is in the library highlights the importance of public libraries through stories of five different patrons. Each patron is going through a change or challenge in life and all of them find themselves at the library. When pointed in the direction of the reference librarian, she asks each of them the same question, “What are you looking for?”. While they respond with answers like “books on Excel” or “books about Go”, using some really top tier reader’s advisory skills, the reference librarian is able to help them find what they asked for while also pointing them in the direction of what they are actually looking for. All the stories together really illustrate how important libraries are to the communities they serve and how much of an impact librarians can have on the patrons they interact with.

Subject Headings (per NoveList): Communities, Public libraries, Books and Reading, Epiphanies, Life changing events, Self-fulfillment, Japanese people

Appeal:
  • Character
    • Each story follows a different character at a different turning point in their lives. From a woman in her 20s contemplating a career change to a retiree trying to find a new direction for his life, there is at least one character that everyone can relate to. Over the course of each story more about the employees at the community house and the library are also revealed as each character interacts with them in different ways. The reader sees how lives can intersect without really overlapping.
  • Pacing
    • A slow pace is set early on in the book which allows the reader to develop more connection to the characters and what they are going through. The reader gets to experience, in real time, the epiphanies that each character has without being rushed. The slow pace also creates an organic feeling to the interactions and relationships between the characters.
  • Mood
    • Being a gentle read, it shouldn’t be a surprise that the overall mood is a positive and happy one. While reading about the lives of these characters, it’s easy to feel what they feel, whether that be anxiety about the future or joy at rediscovering an old passion. Each story ends on a positive note and leaves the reader with a sense of calm and peace.

3 terms that best describe this book: Calm, Relevant, Thought-provoking

Similar Authors and Works:

3 Relevant Non-Fiction Works and Authors

  • How Do Worms Work? A Gardener’s Collection of Curious Questions and Astonishing Answers - By: Guy Barter
    • This title was recommended to one of the patrons in the book and encouraged him to see things not as one or the other, or in competition, but as complementary.

  • Evolution: A Visual Record - By: Robert Clark
    • This title was recommended to one of the patrons in the book and led him to realize that things are not always as they seem and sometimes all you need is a change in perspective and environment.

  • Reader’s Advisory Service in the Public Library - By: Joyce Saricks
    • One of the most important aspects of this book is the reference librarian’s ability to suggest titles to her patrons that may not have been what they originally asked for, but that ended up helping them find what they were actually looking for.

3 Relevant Fiction Works and Authors

  • Before the coffee gets cold - By: Toshikazu Kawaguchi
    • Common elements: Japanese characters/setting, reevaluation of life, slow pace

  • Days at the Morisaki Bookshop - By: Satoshi Yagisawa
    • Common elements: Japanese characters, how books can change lives, importance of bookstores/libraries

  • The Little Paris Bookshop - By: Nina George
    • Common elements: Translations, reader’s advisory, the importance of books



Comments

  1. I 100000% want to read this book! It sounds so good and I could use more gentle, calming reads in my life. I like your recommendation of "Before the Coffee Gets Cold." That's a book that has been sitting on my TBR list for a couple of years and I think it might be moving up the list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave "Before the Coffee Gets Cold" as a gift for Christmas and got positive feedback from it. I do know that it deals with time travel and bounces between times a bit, which isn't rally my thing, but I hope you end up liking it!!

      Delete
  2. I just requested to hold this at my local library based on your annotations. I think I need to read this book. I did just watch a #Booktok Tiktok about stories from multiple points of view being hard to keep up with. Does it go back and forth between the characters? Or is each story separate the way "Florida" by Lauren Groff has separate sections?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're getting this book! I really hope you like it! Each chapter focuses on a different character. In the later chapters you see glimpses of the other characters but it doesn't bounce between perspectives. It's always from the main character of the chapter's perspective. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Victoria, I put this book on my TBR list this fall - but still haven't had a chance to read it! It sounds like when I read it I'll end up with more ideas for books to read than when I started it. I like slow-pace, thoughtful books and how they often make me consider aspects of my own life that I had been avoiding. Thank you for the annotation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some parts of the book that caused a bit of introspection that I was not expecting but it's such a low pressure read that I felt able to sit and contemplate what the character was going through in a way that I don't think I usually can which was nice. I hope you like it when you get to it on your TBR!

      Delete
  4. Like everyone else, I want to add this to my TBR list! This book sounds so good. My relationship fiction book for this week had a "book about books" theme and I am in the mood for more similar things to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to read books about books as a librarian because of how relatable they can be to where I currently am. This one especially because the reference librarian played a big role with reader's advisory, I think I would have gotten something different out of it if I wasn't currently in a reader's advisory class.

      Delete
  5. I would definitely read this book. Not only because I seem to love any book related to libraries but also because I would love to see what the people in this story are "actually looking for". I will definitely have to put this on my TBR list. Maybe even have it as a suggestion for a book club book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think about checking out this book every time I see it. You've convinced me with this annotation and given me a list of nonfiction books I have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like all your classmates said - now I want to read this book too! It sounds so charming and cozy! Fantastic job on this annotation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment