Week 9 - Book Club Experience



Books on Tap

    I’m not really a fan of traditional book clubs. Being told what to read when and when to read it and having a structured discussion about it makes the book club feel more like school and that’s not really how I want to spend my free time. When I started my current job I was asked if I would be interested in running a different kind of book club with my coworker, Taylor. I was hesitant at first but after learning more about it, I jumped at the chance.

    Books on Tap is a monthly book club that meets at rotating bars around the area and is a space for people to meet up, have a drink, and talk about books for a bit. There isn’t a specific title that is required each month and the conversation tends to unfurl organically. Every month Taylor and I send out a question of the month for our attendees to think about before the meeting but there have been many months that we don’t get to the question of the month because the conversation is rolling so well and we don’t feel the need to cut it off. While the two of us technically lead the club, during the sessions we join in the conversations like everyone else.

    Many different topics are talked about during our meetings. Most of the time, at some point during the evening, everyone will talk about what they are currently reading and several conversations can stem from that. At the very first meeting that Taylor and I ran, we spent the entire time talking about what everyone was reading because at least one conversation would branch off from whatever book someone said and we didn't end up having time to talk about anything else. It was actually pretty cool! Beyond what we’re reading, we talk about many other topics from our jobs to, during one meeting, the brood of chickens that one patron has. We also talk about different book genres, what tropes we like and which ones we don’t. Conversations can also branch off into movies or TV shows that relate to books. During one meeting, I’m not entirely sure how, a debate broke out about the Avengers and Sherlock movies which got a smidge wild.

    We tend to have groups on the smaller side, around ten people or less, but occasionally we’ll get bigger groups. We’ve had one that was eighteen people and we ended up splitting into two different groups to make conversation easier. Everyone participates throughout the evenings with their commentary on whatever topic they feel comfortable chiming in on. There are a few patrons who like to talk and let their opinion be known more than others, but I think that has only been a real problem once or twice. I think Taylor and I have been able to get things back on track when one person begins to dominate the conversation or at the very least, get other people involved in the conversation to move the attention away from a single patron.

    Overall, I enjoy the experience of leading Books on Tap. It’s a fun way to meet other readers in a really low pressure environment and has the added bonus of being a space to exchange book recommendations. Visiting different bars around town has also been a good way for me to learn more about the area in general, though we do have our favorite spot to meet. While food and drink isn’t provided by the club during meetings, we do bring several ARCs of upcoming books that we encourage our members to take. This is also a fun way to involve our waiters by explaining what the club is and having them look through the books and select a few as well.

Comments

  1. This is the kind of book club I would enjoy! I don't want to feel obligated to complete a specific book, but I would love the chance to socialize with people who also love talking about books.

    I'm curious about the club's origins. Who originally proposed the idea? Did your director want to do it and found staff members to handle it, or did someone else think of it and have to convince the director it was a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great way to conduct book clubs! Do you ever find that everyone reading different things is too busy or chaotic? Or does a focus naturally fall into place as conversations break off into smaller groups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled that you are already leading your own book club! That sounds fantastic! What a great social outing for people. I bet the conversations are great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment