Week 4 - Secret Shopper Summary

 


Overall, I would say my secret shopper experience was fine. I went in asking for a good book that would keep me engaged and the librarian stuck with the general questions: “What genres do you like?” and “What are your favorite books/authors?”. While this is a great place to start I was hoping for more in depth questioning that I didn’t end up getting. I also mentioned that I’ve been reading the same few genres lately and wanted to try something different, but she didn’t end up recommending anything beyond authors of the two genres I originally mentioned. 


I picked up two books by authors she pointed out, but I didn’t end up adding either to my TBR. I was already familiar with the authors she suggested, and I haven’t read them before because they don’t really interest me. The short amount of time she spent with me and the author recs she gave were a little lackluster, but based on the fact that she was going off the top of her head, she did okay. It seemed like she wasn’t really prepared for a readers’ advisory question and didn’t have much training in how to approach it. She didn’t mention using any resources like NoveList or Goodreads, but I also couldn’t see her computer. Honestly, how she approached the interaction reminded me a bit of myself when I first started working in a library. It can be nerve wracking to have someone come up when you’re not prepared or when they want a book in a genre you aren’t familiar with, so I don’t hold the outcome of the interaction against her. 

Comments

  1. I'm sorry that the interaction didn't go as well as you had hoped, but I hope that it ended up being some decent practice for the librarian. Maybe you could go back and let the librarian know how they did and see if that can help them become better at readers' advisory questions for the future. I know it may not be the nicest thing to hear that you didn't really help someone out with their next book read, but at least it gives them an understanding on why the experience didn't go well and how they can improve in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm sorry it didn't go that well. I saw that someone in our class ended up doing online readers advisory - that may be a good option to try. Some libraries will have forms online that you can fill out and a librarian will compile a personalized list for you! The one at my library is down right now while we revamp the process or I'd attach the link. I think I might try a few and see what results I get!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment